Re: Argument names in Elisp Reference vs docstrings

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Argument names in Elisp Reference vs docstrings
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:17:21 +0300

> I think it hasn't been decided whether to allow more than one default value
> in the upcoming release.

IIUC, Richard decided to allow more than one default value, since this is a
quite trivial change.

> In that case, "defaults" is misleading (that is, incorrect).
> I suggest "default-value", which is clearer, anyway.
>
> Similarly, I think "initial-value" or "init-value" is clearer than
> "initial".

I think neither "initial-value" nor "default-value" make the semantics
of arguments clearer than "initial" or "default".  To understand the
difference between them, programmers still should consult the documentation.

> "Init" clearly stands for "initial", but the "value" part is
> important - "initial" by itself doesn't mean much (initial what?).

Perhaps simply "init" would be good: it's short, and since it is not
a real word, it doesn't require a noun like "-value".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/