Re: address@hidden: Crash when loading a particular gif image]

From: Göran Uddeborg
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Crash when loading a particular gif image]
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:28:26 +0200

Richard M. Stallman writes:
> I am sure I have an old libungif.  address@hidden, what about you?

I just checked on an up-to-date Fedora Core 4 system.  It has libungif
4.1.3.  That is the most recent version on the source web page
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/libungif/).  But the problem
remains.

Your question triggered me to try gif2ps, from libungif, on the gif.
It gave this reply:

    mimmi> gif2ps /tmp/poison.gif
    Image 1 is not confined to screen dimension, aborted.

That is, the program doesn't like the GIF, but it doesn't crash.

A guess of mine, without having looked at the code, would be that the
picture is indeed broken in some way.  The library returns some kind
of error code.  And emacs fails to properly check the return status,
and uses some data which isn't filled in.

But it is just a guess!