Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:14:14 -0400

On Sep 15, 2005, at 9:00 AM, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

That's correct -- or actually the GNUstep "version" and the OS X one
    are the same code, with a few ifdefs here and there.  The APIs
    provided by GNUstep and Cocoa are almost identical (or at least
    largely overlapping; please see http://gnustep.org for more
explanation) The new port (emacs-app.sf.net) should always run, like
    Emacs-on-Aqua, on GNUstep _and_ OS X.  (The "-on-Aqua" name is a
historical artifact that does not reflect the port's actual character.)

Could we please rename it, then?  Let's call it Emacs for GNUstep.
It is counterproductive to publicize Apple gratuitously.

The new name was going to be simply "Emacs.app", which is OS neutral (but OpenStep specific). I prefer a neutral name to avoid throwing off potential Apple users, because I'll need the interest and help of the Cocoa / Apple community to make this port work.

The GNUstep community is very small (albeit undeservedly so), but a quality Emacs port that makes people want to run GNUstep so they can use it could help it grow. If Apple users testing and helping with development can make this happen, I think it would be worth the ancillary costs of publicity for and enhancement of the non-free OS X platform.

What about a compromise, like "Emacs.app for GNUstep and OS X" (on every web page and release announcement), with short name simply "Emacs.app"?