Re: ispell.el doesn't work any more

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: ispell.el doesn't work any more
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:07:09 +0300

> So how about the following patch, which fixes the case-fold issue,
> improves the doc string, and extends the valid syntax for version
> numbers?

Your patch works for aspell version 0.60.3-20050121.

I also suggest to add another quite common separator `+' to the
set of separators `[-_]' in version-regexp-alist.

But what to do for aspell version formats not supported even with your
patch?  Various distributions can modify the version string to arbitrary
formats.  I think ispell.el should fail gracefully in the case of
unsupported version formats.

To do this, the default value of ispell-aspell-supports-utf8 could be
`auto-detect', so users will be able to set it explicitly to `nil' or `t',
if version testing fails (with `condition-case' around the testing code).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/