Re: Default remote user name in tramp

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: Default remote user name in tramp
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:38:50 +0200

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:50:49 +0200
Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

#> > I have tried Tramp-2.1.3, but it doesn't work for me at all. I get
#> > "format-spec: Invalid format string" error from macro at line 5783 of
#> > tramp.el, in defun tramp-maybe-open-connection.
#> >
#> > I will try to investigate further when I have time.
#>
#> Please do so. If you know more, you might raise a bug report via
#> `tramp-submit-bug'.

It turned out to be configuration error on my part. Tramp-2.1.3 is
working great for me now.

This probably isn't the right forum for this question, but I wonder
why tramp sends Perl mime-encode and mime-decode scripts, even if
working mimencode program is found on the host. Seems a bit wasteful
for me, and I think (may be wrong) some earlier versions didn't do
that.

#> > Except there is, apparently, a bug which causes tramp to strip last
#> > letter from user name (i.e. if my user-login-name is "slawek", tramp
#> > tries to login using "slawe").
#> >
#> > Setting user-login-name to "slawekX" seems to work for me at the
#> > moment ;) I don't have any more time to hunt this bug right now, but
#> > I will try to figure it out later.
#>
#> I cannot reproduce it here. Tramp uses the expression
#> (or user (user-login-name)) for sending the login name; I have no
#> idea why (and how) it should shorten it.

Neither do I. I did a quick check, but couldn't find the reason.

Adding " " in tramp-action-login like this:

    (process-send-string nil (concat (or user (user-login-name)) " "
                                   tramp-rsh-end-of-line)))

fixes the problem. I have no idea why, this may be related to the
end-of-line character on Windows (there is a workaround for sending
password, maybe something similar would help for user name as well).

However, everything is working fine with Tramp-2.1.3, so I am using it
right now. Seems to be the best possible workaround ;)

#> What happens when you write your user name in the file name, like
#> "/ssh:address@hidden:/path"?

It works fine. No idea why.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who
take the credit. Try to be in the first group;
there is less competition there.