Re: Problem with national characters in XHTML

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Problem with national characters in XHTML
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:22:29 +0300

LENNART BORGMAN wrote:
> I have run into a problem with swedish national characters in an XHTML
> document. The header of the document is like this:
>
>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
>             "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd";>
>
> The swedish character รค looks like \344 in CVS Emacs (2005-09-23). It looks
> ok in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. Looking at the file with
> Notepad also shows the swedish characters as expected.
>
> I would be glad for some hints and pointers! I am using nxml-mode if that
> matters here.

There is probably conflict of encodings.  Note that encoding is often duplicated
in <meta ... /> tag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
          PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
          "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>

<head>

Check that you have UTF-8 there too.  Finally, check that your non-ASCII
characters
are indead encoded in UTF-8.

Paul