Re: Problem with national characters in XHTML

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Problem with national characters in XHTML
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:34:05 +0200

>TZ> Ah. You have to distinguish between Emacs's internal representation
>TZ> (that's possibly the 2276 you mention), which doesn't change (al least
>TZ> unless you try hard ;) and what is in the file (how Emacs writes or
>TZ> interprets what it reads). You can change those things changing the
>TZ> coding system (look for something like `multilingual environment').

By default Emacs uses different internal representations for the "same"
character in different coding systems. So a iso-8859-1 "ä" is a different
thing than a utf-8 "ä". This difference will disappear when Emacs switches
to Unicode internally. For the time being the OP could use Unicode
unification, if his Emacs version is young enough. I have used this for
some years now without any problems. Maybe it solves the original problem.

(require 'ucs-tables)
(unify-8859-on-encoding-mode 1)
(unify-8859-on-decoding-mode 1)

--