Re: Patch: Follow convention for reading with the minibuffer.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Patch: Follow convention for reading with the minibuffer.
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:59:19 +0300

>> Here's my second take on this.  Someone please check this patch before
>> actually committing!  It's too easy to make an error when doing such
>> kind of changes.
>
> Thanks, I installed this patch (including the subsequent change you sent
> to Richard).

I noticed that now the Emacs manual doesn't comply with conventions about
location of the colon documented in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:

1. (info "(elisp)Programming Tips"):

   * When you mention a default value in a minibuffer prompt, put it
     and the word `default' inside parentheses.  It should look like
     this:

          Enter the answer (default 42):

2. (info "(emacs)Minibuffer"):

     Sometimes a "default argument" appears in parentheses after the
  colon; it too is part of the prompt.  The default will be used as the
  argument value if you enter an empty argument (that is, just type
  <RET>).  For example, commands that read buffer names always show a
  default, which is the name of the buffer that will be used if you type
  just <RET>.

In the first sentence "after the colon" should be changed to "before
the colon".  But what to do with the second sentence?  Commands that
read buffer names still put the default after the colon.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/