Re: new version of allout.el - patch and ChangeLog

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: new version of allout.el - patch and ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:52:26 -0400

On 9/30/05, Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 01:24:14PM -0400, Ken Manheimer wrote:
> [...]
> >           - both public- and symmetric-key modes are supported.
> >           - encryption being on a per-topic basis means you can
> >             intersperse encrypted and clear-text data in a single file
> >             to your heart's content.
>
> I think this sounds great, but...
>
> >           topic encryption functionality depends on both mailcrypt and
> >           crypt++ packages.  (non-encryption allout functionality is not
> >           disrupted if either mailcrypt or crypt++ are absent.)
>
> why do you relay on these packages, which aren't part of gnu emacs,
> when we have pgg?

good question - i wasn't aware of pgg.  can you tell me more about it?
 i'd be very happy to find a single package that cleanly provides the
encryption interface that allout needs!

gentoo has an ebuild for it, but it involves xemacs dependencies,
making me think the build is xemacs-specific.  i gather, since you're
responding via the emacs-devel list, that it's available for the
mainline emacs - is that right?  google points me at only emacs-wiki
stuff (for a search on "emacs gpp") or xemacs-related stuff (for
"xemacs gpp")...

ken
address@hidden