Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:17:15 +0100

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Tooltip are for me normally over point, and therefore over the text
> most recently written, hiding it. I need it to go away to see what I
> wrote last so I can continue there. To be able to do it I must either
> insert some character I don't really want to type or reach over for the
> mouse.

It is unusual for the mouse to be normally over point, do you have
some special code for making the mouse track point (anti-avoid.el)?
I think that would be annoying whether tooltips popped up or not.

But this has been discussed in October 2001, when the default was 5
seconds, and the consensus then was to increase tooltip-hide-delay to
10 seconds. So I don't think we should change it now without carefully
considering the arguments that were made for increasing it in the
first place.