Re: flyspell bug

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: flyspell bug
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:45:26 +0200

Slawomir Nowaczyk <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:08:27 -0400
> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> #> It seems to me that there is no reason for flyspell.el to check the
> #> buffer-local specifications every time it checks or corrects a word;
> #> doing this when the user enables Flyspell mode ought to be enough.
>
> Not really. I work sometimes with several buffers where each is
> written in a different language. After your change, the ispell
> dictionary isn't automatically adjusted anymore.
>
> I need to manually run, for example, ispell-word in order for
> ispell/flyspell to notice it should change language/dictionary.
>
> It seems, therefore, that flyspell should read buffer local
> specifications at least after changing buffers.

I guess you mean after switching buffers (in the emacs terminology)?

I often wondered why there are no hooks associated with switching
buffers, windows, and frames.

E.g.
switch-buffer-functions (args: old buffer, new buffer)

select-window-functions (args: old window, new window)

select-frame-functions (args: old frame, new frame)

But the problem might be to decide when to actually run these
hooks -- I think somewhere in the main loop...?

> #> Which suggests making this change. Does it fix the problem?
>
> Your change does seem to fix the problem with transient mark mode for
> me, though.

Which is one good reason to install it unless somebody can make
a better fix soon!!