Re: New speedbar version

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: New speedbar version
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:07:38 +0900

2005/10/2, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> > Unfortunately, checking in the new version of Speedbar (which has been
> > undergoing development in its own tree for two years) was itself one
> > of the items needed for the release.  See, for example,
>
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-05/msg00202.html
>
> BTW, could whoever worked on this speedbar.el thingy install on a branch the
> "original" upstream version, so that in the future we will be able to
> trivially extract the local changes we've made (or, equivalently, to easily
> install a newer upstream release o n that branch and then ask CVS to do
> (most of) the merge for us)?

Anyway, as a general rule:  _never_ just "check in" new versions of
upstream files.  _Always_ merge them.  If that seems annoying then the
first step is to track down the history you need to do such a merge
(and hopefully, as Stefan suggests, do some preparation so that the
next merge is easier).

-Miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.