Re: special-display-buffer-names and vc-diff displays wrong result

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: special-display-buffer-names and vc-diff displays wrong result
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:09:31 -0400

    I am using `special-display-buffer-names' for the *vc-diff* buffer.
    If the special-display-buffer frame does not exist then the *vc-diff*
    buffer reports sometimes "No differences found.". This seems to due
    the fact that the 'vc-diff-internal' function has not written yet any
    bytes into the *vc-diff* buffer.

How would the fact that the buffer is empty have such an effect?
Can you work out the chain of events?

     The strange part is that this only
    happens if the background process ends up very fast. For example a
    diff with the cvs.gnu.org server finishes always successfully, but a
    diff with the local cvs server fails.

    I don't know how to fix this. As a workaround I put after the
    vc-diff-internal function a (sit-for 1) statement. Then it seems to
    work.

If you can deduce how this change has the effect of preventing the
problem, then we would understand the problem, and then we could look
for the right fix.