Re: emacsclient wrapper to launch emacs server if none running?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: emacsclient wrapper to launch emacs server if none running?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:12:58 +0200

Jens Petersen wrote:

Does anyone have an emacsclient wrapper script or program which
can reliably launch emacs with server-start if none is running?

Jens

ps (I noticed an experimental "emacsclient-plus" script  in the debian emacs
package diff a while back, but it didn't quite seem to work yet for me out
of the box.)
I have such a script, but it is for gnuclient since emacsclient does not work (yet?) on w32. However it consists of changes to both gnuclient.exe self and a new script gnuservauto.el.

You can find it all if you download the zip file called something like EmacsW32-0.95.zip from http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/. It is under the setup\bin folder in the zip file. (The source is also there.)

However this only works on w32. You can only get ideas there. I have added a new option "emacsclient -s" that starts gnuserv automatically. With the setup used by EmacsW32 you do not have to start gnuserv in .emacs, it is started automatically if -s is used. (An additional advantage of this is that you can start emacs.exe and have the same setup as usual, but run the extra emacs.exe without gnuserv.)

Hope this can be of some help. I would like to port this feature to emacsclient as soon as emacsclient works on w32.