Re: special-display-buffer-names and vc-diff displays wrong result

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: special-display-buffer-names and vc-diff displays wrong result
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:50:49 -0400

    > Also, wait_reading_process_output runs sentinels before it
    > reads output.  So if the signals arrive at the same time,
    > Emacs will run the sentinel first.

    If the sentinel happens to run first, is the output still processed
    afterwards or is it just discarded?

I think the output is still processed, but I am not certain.  It would
definitely be a bug if the output is lost when the termination signal
is handled first.  I think there is no such bug, since nobodyt is
reporting it.

    - it doesn't actually care whether there were diffs or not: the code is just
      trying to make sure that the buffer doesn't stay empty, leaving the user
      to wonder whether the command got frozen or just didn't produce
      any output.  So it also makes sense to check the buffer's emptiness.

The easiest way to do this is to program the sentinel to insert some
text at the end of the buffer.