Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:45:06 -0400

    Most applications put the tooltip below the mouse. The default for
    tooltip-y-offset in Emacs is -10, which puts it above the mouse.

It seems silly to allow nil as a value equivalent to -10, or 40.
What benefit does that complexity provide?  I see none.  Does
anyone else see a reason to keep this?

It would be simpler to put the default value in the defcustom
directly, and limit this variable to integers.

I would like people to try setting the value to 40 and tell me what
they think.

    I'd also suggest to make the tooltip face specify a font height of 75%.

Would people please try that, too?