Re: M-x zone and buffer with leading space.

From: Michael Cadilhac
Subject: Re: M-x zone and buffer with leading space.
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:56:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>   I use an IM within emacs which hides its buffer by calling them with
>>   a leading space (Ex: `` *Netsoul Textbox*'').
>
> Your patch to zone is probably fine (tho I really have no idea), but I just
> want to point out that buffers that are shown to the user should preferable
> not start with a space.  So maybe you should report also a bug to your IM
> package's author.

  The point  is that this IM  has some kind of  interface, which looks
  like:

  .-----------------------------.---------------.
  |       User's picture        | Contact list: |
  |          User name          |  * Sylvia     |
  |                             |  * Tom        |
  | <Tom> Hi !                  |  * Pierre     |
  | <You> Hello.                |  * Dummy      |
  | <Tom> foo ?                 |  * bar        |
  | <You> baz.                  |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  |-----------------------------|               |
  | Textbox.                    |               |
  |                             |               |
  |                             |               |
  `-----------------------------°---------------'

  This interface is independent from your current window configuration
  and  can be shown/hidden  everywhere.  It  uses window-configuration
  functions to allow this.

  In order to not mess up the whole thing and not bother the user with
  a huge buffer  list, all these buffers are  hidden using the leading
  space technique.

  I'm doing the same with jabber buffers: all chat buffers start with
  a space, and I've made up some functions to list them.

  Is it a misuse of this technique ?

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should