Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:12:38 +0300

> Bob sent me this bug report for the current CVS version of Emacs about
> three dots disappearing in the Info display (they are present in the
> actual .info file).  It doesn't happen in 21.3.
>
> Can someone look at it, please?

The Emacs Info reader interprets a line of dots as an underlining
below the Info title line, so it hides this line and highlights its
preceding line in the face `info-title-4', since dots are used for
4th-level titles, like in:

  1.3.7.1 A Sample Function Description

The current code doesn't take into account the length of the line,
so for the Emacs Info reader this case is equivalent to:

  Here are three dots with the @dots{} on a filled line xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps this should be fixed to process such lines only in the case
when lengths of underlining and title lines are the same.

Or maybe there is a filling bug in the makeinfo program so that it
leaves the dangling dots on a line of its own?  Wouldn't it be more
correct to convert

  Here are three dots with the @@address@hidden@} on a filled line xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  @dots{}

into