Re: bug with file name completing

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: bug with file name completing
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 03:05:27 +0300

> This is the completion-ignored-extensions feature at work.
> .pdf is ignored; .ps is not, because (the idea is) that's a language
> people sometimes edit.
>
> In fact, nearly all .ps files are generated by programs, just as .pdf
> files are.  Should we add .ps to completion-ignored-extensions?

There are not many reasons to treat .ps differently than .pdf
nowadays.  So I think the question is whether to add them both to
completion-ignored-extensions or to remove them both from it.

I want to remind that completion-ignored-extensions is used also by
dired to display files with these extensions in a different face.
There is actually no problem to have .ps and .pdf files name displayed
differently than other files, but what is bad is that dired-x uses
completion-ignored-extensions to omit files from dired buffers.
.ps, .pdf and .dvi files contain the resulting material that users
very likely may want to view via external programs calling a shell
command on them.  So removing them from the dired buffer is not
a good choice.  Omitting the files in dired-x is controlled by the
variable dired-omit-extensions created from the value of
completion-ignored-extensions.  I suggest to remove .pdf and .dvi
from the default value dired-omit-extensions.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/