Re: macos.texi updated

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: macos.texi updated
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:16:55 -0400

    You're right..  But the population of "power users" in this case for
    whatever reason seems fairly large (just subjective impression), and
    the requirement to learn XLFD (to compose a fontset, or whatever
    else) and partake of the pleasures of asterisk-counting seems onerous.

Is there a suitable font specification syntax in some other app that
we could imitate?  I don't think it is worth while for us to develop a
new one, and if it were unique to Emacs, it probably would not be very
useful.

    XLFD should be removed from non-window-system-specific code and
    replaced with a simple struct containing the same information.

That is not a user interface proposal.  That is a proposal for a
simplification of internals of Emacs.  Maybe that would be a
simplification, maybe not.  In either case, I would rather we NOT
change this now.

But it has nothing  to do with the idea of presenting a different
_syntax_ for specifying a font, so I think it is just a distraction
from the issue we were talking about.