RE: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:32:43 -0700

        So it shouldn't be 0.75 as that is too small with 9x15. What about
        0.8? It is reasonable with both fonts I tried, although the
        effect is less pronounced with the `default' font on Ubuntu.

    What do others think?

Since you asked -

I haven't tried any of the different font sizes, but my a-priori opinion is:

1. The tooltip font size should be the same as the size of the frame default
font.

2. Users should be able to explicitly change the tooltip font size (only).

Moving to a smaller font automatically is a bad idea. Some people have
difficulty with small text, so they set the frame font to a readable size.
Automatically introducing smaller text presents an unnecessary obstacle to
them.

Moving to a larger font automatically does not introduce this problem, but
there is also no reason to do it.

In sum, let the default tooltip font size be the same as the frame font
size - not the default frame's default font size, but the size of the
current default font for the given frame.