Re: rcirc.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: rcirc.el
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:57:17 +0200

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Included below is the latest version of rcirc.el, an emacs irc client,
> which I am the sole author of.  I have submitted copyright assignment
> papers, which have been received by the FSF.  I would like to offer
> this code for inclusion in the next version of emacs, and would
> appreciate any feedback.

I haven't looked closely at the code, but a few questions come to mind:

> ;; rcirc is a lightweight irc client for Emacs

A more elaborate "commentary" section in the code would be good.
As a minimum it should explain:

What is IRC?
Does it work only with irc.freenode.net ?

> ;; Tested with GNU Emacs 21.3

If you want it to be included with the next release, you should
test it with the latest CVS Emacs (to be released as 22.1).

But I guess you already did that, as the code will use
make-network-process when available ...

> (require 'cl)

Do you really require cl at runtime or just at compile time?