Re: Another Emacs icon

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Another Emacs icon
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:23:52 +0000 (UTC)

   The reason why using "M-x" does not appeal to me
   is that I don't think of that as the central
   feature of Emacs.  ...

Indeed, "M-x" is designed for commands that do not have a short key
sequence.  It is for commands that are `left over' from frequent use.

I know I use a control command, like C-b, and a meta command, such as
M-f, much more frequently.

Indeed, when a command I use frequently does not have a shorter
keybinding already, I tend to bind it myself.  For example, I bound
`comment-out' to C-c ;

Not only is "M-x" misleading as an image, it is dangerous, since it
might lead a few novices to think that "M-x" should be used more often
than need be.

At least, with the image of a Gnu head, no novice is going to think
that Emacs is a Gnu, although they might wonder about the connection
between GNU Emacs and an operating system with a Linux kernel.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8