Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:07:56 -0500

    Actually, the problem is in the Info format

The problem is not, IMHO, Info format, which was always designed to be
displayed as-is, not interpreted, since long before font-lock,
highlighting, or any of this other stuff came into existence.

The problem was, IMHO, starting down this road of "interpreting" Info
files when they were never meant for that.  Unfortunately it's too late
now that (I gather) users are used to fontified Info output, so the
guessing games have to just be finagled as best they can.

    (typically in index nodes for manuals

In the last Texinfo release I added a cookie (address@hidden@^H] to index
nodes for precisely this purpose.  You may recall the long discussion we
had about it.  I hope Emacs will take advantage of it, since that's the
only reason it is there.

     turn off font-lock in your info buffers.

I'd love to turn off font-lock everywhere, I hate the incessant
pseudo-underlining and bolding in my various buffers (even running under
xterm it won't just give me plain text any more), but there is
apparently no way to do it without maintaining a list of dozens of
individual variables to be set to nil.  (At least when I asked/searched
about it a couple months ago, that was the answer I got.)  (setq-default
global-font-lock-mode nil) is insufficient, in fact I don't think even
think it undoes Info fontification.  Sigh ... if anyone has a practical
solution, I'd be grateful to know about it.

Thanks,
Karl