Re: macos.texi updated

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: macos.texi updated
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:44:19 -0400

      (I guess I was
    trying to say, "drop XLFD, and if some functionality is lost, update
    the lisp syntax to fix it".)

We don't need to change Emacs for that.  You should be able, already,
to do whatever you like in Emacs without using XLFD syntax.  What is there
that cannot be done except with XLFD syntax?  I think perhaps some
command line option uses it.  We could replace that option with
one that uses a different syntax, but what syntax should it be?

    .default {
         font-family: courier;
         font-size: 13pt;
         font-weight: bold;
         font-style: italic;
    }

I don't think that is useful in an Emacs context.
It is no easier to type, no more concise, than a list
of face attributes in Lisp syntax.  Where would we possibly
want to use it?

Not for the argument of a command-line option, for sure.

    > That is not a user interface proposal.  That is a proposal for a
    > simplification of internals of Emacs.  Maybe that would be a
    > simplification, maybe not.  In either case, I would rather we NOT
    > change this now.
    >
    > But it has nothing  to do with the idea of presenting a different
    > _syntax_ for specifying a font, so I think it is just a distraction
    > from the issue we were talking about.

    It is a separate issue (and I could/should have started a new thread
    I suppose), but it is related insofar as the exposure to the user of
    XLFD and the deep embedding of XLFD in the platform-independent face
    code are tied to one another.

If someone wants to rewrite more of the internals of Emacs
to get rid of the internal use of XLFD syntax, that is fine with me.
Now is not the time to do it, of course.