Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:37:08 -0400

    Explaining the strange stuff that happens if the user tries to type in
    a file name containing question marks or spaces (as newbies often do)
    is a good reason however.

There is no room for so much explanation in a tooltip.  Sorry.
However, it could be that we should turn off wildcards for menu items.
If wildcards have the effect of confusing the beginners who use menus,
that may be a desirable change.

      "Visit New File" is not the
    correct description of `C-x C-f' which appears right next to it.

This is not worth thinking about.

The Emacs commands and the usual practices of menu bars are
conceptually incompatible.  No matter how we try fit them together,
there will be various such minor discrepancies.  Anything we do to
remove some will create others.  It is a waste of time to discuss it.

Please drop this issue.