Re: wrapper fn for message and minibuffer-message?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: wrapper fn for message and minibuffer-message?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:08:08 +0300

> OK, I understand you now, I think. `message' does this:
>
> if `minibufferp',
>    then if `minibuffer-message-at-end'
>         then don't erase minibuffer, but append message there
>         else temporarily replace minibuffer contents with message
>    else temporarily replace any minibuffer contents with message
>
> `minibuffer-message' will just call `message' with non-nil
> `minibuffer-message-at-end'. (However, to keep the current behavior in all
> cases, it should not call `message' if the minibuffer is not active, but
> should instead do nothing.)

I wonder if this can be used to display the isearch prompt while
searching the minibuffer contents?  Currently the isearch prompt
completely overwrites the minibuffer contents.  I imagine using
`minibuffer-message-at-end' to append the isearch prompt to the
minibuffer contents.  For example, with the minibuffer:

Eval: (setq foo 'bar)

typing `C-s foo' will display:

Eval: (setq foo 'bar) [I-search backward: foo]

and `foo' will be highlighted in `isearch' face, as usual.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/