RE: Qs on key-description, substitute-command-keys

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Qs on key-description, substitute-command-keys
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:35:01 -0700

    > Does anyone know how to control which of several bindings for
    > a command is displayed by `substitute-command-keys'?

    There is no way to get this kind of control.

    I think we should devise some way to get the desired result
    without going through contorsions like `advertized-bla'.
    ... the first thing that jumps to my mind is to rely
    on a `preferred-binding' property (containing a key-sequence)
    on the command symbol, or otherwise require the use of a
    menu-item for the main binding and then obey a boolean
    ":preferred-binding" property placed on the  menu-item.

I like the former, as the latter sounds very restrictive (we don't want menu
explosion, just so people can get user-friendly messages with bindings in
them).

However, I would prefer a list of preferred bindings, in order of
preference, to a single binding. If, for some reason, the exact binding is
not known (e.g. might have changed), so that the first preference isn't
available (bound), the next available binding would be used, in order. As a
shortcut, a single binding name could be used in place of the list (= your
suggestion).