RE: Saving minibuffer history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Saving minibuffer history
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:49:07 -0700

    Uh, Emacs 20?  Why would one need to be compatible with that?

Many, many people do use Emacs 20, for a variety of reasons.

Emacs development does not have as a goal to be backward compatible - I
understand that. I never said that Emacs 22 "needs" to be compatible with
Emacs 20.

If, however, other things are equal or can trivially be made equal, why not?
If nothing is gained by breaking backward compatibility, why break it?

I made some minor change suggestions. I don't know if they remove any
savehistory functionality - I didn't think so. If they do, then ignore them.
I am not requesting removing Emacs 22 functionality to make things
backward-compatible with Emacs 20.

I tested savehistory briefly with the changes, and it appeared to work.
Hrvoje says that it was not designed to work with Emacs 20, so my
observations were no doubt inadequate.

As the suggested changes were simply a defvar and a defcustom, if
functionality is lost by my changes, what about adding a usage note wrt
these variables? My concern is that the library could be useful to Emacs 20
users as well, if they know to change these variable values.