Re: Entering filenames with spaces

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Entering filenames with spaces
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:26:16 +0100

On 17 Oct 2005, at 05:33, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

Wait a minute!
The change I agreed to was only for file name reading.
The change you proposed would affect all kinds of completion.
I don't want to do that.

Uhh, sorry, that was a misunderstanding then.

If I had to design this from scratch, I probably wouldn't bind Space to a completion function in some cases, but not in others. It's more complicated for the user to "switch context", that is, to consider whether they are entering a file-name, or whether they are entering something like a symbol. The easier-to-remember usage paradigm would be to use Tab for completion everywhere. But since people might be used to using Space, this might be a different story.

Could someone please tell me how this differentiation would best be implemented?
Does a filename-minibuffer have an extra keymap?
Or should Space be bound to some function that distinguishes the filename case from others? (a little awkward...)