Re: image size limit?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: image size limit?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:33:35 -0400

>> But I don't think this limit should be absolute.  I think it should be
>> specified as a multiple of the frame height and width, and it should
>> be given as a floating point number.  I'd suggest 2.0 as the default
>> for this ratio.

My Emacs frames are typically 80 columns of 13x6, i.e. about 500 pixel wide,
but I often (at least once a week) watch digital photos in those frames
and more often than not those picteures are 1600 or 2048 pixel wide.
Admittedly, it's not very convenient to watch those pictures within Emacs
right now (the vertical/horizontal scrolling is far from perfect), but often
I end up temporarilly maximizing the frame (after displaying the picture) to
1600 pixel wide.

All this to say that I think choosing the maximum image size based on
display-pixel-width and display-pixel-height would be preferable than using
frame size.

        Stefan