Re: Amendments in calc-units.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Amendments in calc-units.el
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:39:54 +0200

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2005/10/16, Torsten Bronger <address@hidden>:
>>> Secondly, "point" should be renamed "bp" (big point).  It's not
>>> *the* point after all (but an invention by Adobe, as far as I know).
>>
>> I suspect more calc users use postscript points than "real points"...
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on this, but would using "point" for
> PostScript point be less accurate?  Also, using "point" for point (of
> whatever kind) and "tpt" for TeX point lacks symmetry; perhaps
> "texpoint" for TeX point would be better.

It's too long to enter already.  It would be an idea to offer all TeX
dimensions with t prefixed:

tpt (TeX's point)
tpc (TeX's pica)
tcc (TeX's cicero)
tcm (TeX's cm.  Hm, seems unnecessary)
tbp (TeX's big point, same as point)
tsp (TeX's scaled point, collides with teaspoon. Too bad)

Seems like this scheme is not feasible, either.

That's somewhat of a nuisance, since TeX users would probably like to
be able to work with calc without investing too much thought.