Re: rcirc.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: rcirc.el
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:30:31 +0200

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think the basic entry points (and their aliases) at least should get
>> autoload cookies.
>
> What is the right way to do this given the way I conditionalized the
> defalias:
>
> (unless (fboundp 'irc)
> ;;;###autoload
>   (defalias 'irc 'rcirc))
>
> I think that is probably not the right thing to do.

More like
;;;###autoload (unless (fboundb 'irc) (defalias 'irc 'rcirc))

However, it does not make sense to conditionalize the autoload, since
it concerns the state of a virgin Emacs.  So either we decide that a
virgin Emacs maps irc to rcirc, in which case we should write just
;;;###autoload (defalias 'irc 'rcirc)
or we decide that it doesn't, in which case we would not want to have
the alias at all.

Richard mentioned that maybe ERC would be installed as well.  Then we
should definitely decide which client, if any, should be available as
"irc".