Re: File modes facilities.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:01:21 +0900

2005/10/20, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden>:
> I made myself M-x chmod below, to change the current visited file.  I
> usually just want to make a script executable.  I know there's an
> executable-chmod or something, but I can never remember and prefer
> typing 755 or 700.  The save-buffer is in case it's a new file.

Why not (1) Give `set-file-modes' an interactive spec (defaulting to
the current buffer's filename), and (2) make `set-file-modes'
understand chmod-style strings as well as integer modes (I guess the
interactive spec would have to decide how to parse integers -- would
defaulting to octal be reasonable?).

Then just add an alias chmod => set-file-modes (for those people who
are used to unix), and everybody's happy!  Er, I think.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.