Re: File modes facilities.

From: Michael Cadilhac
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:12:05 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> 2005/10/20, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden>:
>> I made myself M-x chmod below, to change the current visited file.  I
>> usually just want to make a script executable.  I know there's an
>> executable-chmod or something, but I can never remember and prefer
>> typing 755 or 700.  The save-buffer is in case it's a new file.
>
> Why not (1) Give `set-file-modes' an interactive spec (defaulting to
> the current buffer's filename), and (2) make `set-file-modes'
> understand chmod-style strings as well as integer modes (I guess the
> interactive spec would have to decide how to parse integers -- would
> defaulting to octal be reasonable?).

  Isn't that more or less what I proposed in my package proposal ?
  - A `chmod-style strings' parser,
  - A facility to have M-x chmod understand both octal and symbolic
    modes,
  - A way to change the current file modes without saving it.

  ?

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should