Re: compress files patch for mac/make-package

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compress files patch for mac/make-package
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:23:33 +0200

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> The long term plan is to get rid of the gzip dependency for good and use
> zlib to provide decompression primitives directly in Emacs.  (On systems
> where zlib isn't available as a shared library, we'd provide the
> possibility to include a static version in Emacs.)

So why not let this issue rest until we have native compression support
in Emacs (at which time harddisks are >10TB, so it really doesn't matter
anymore to compress .el files :-)

If Debian-folks want to compress .el files and it happens to work for
Debian, then it's no problem with me.  But that is NOT an issue we
have to deal with in Emacs for release 22.

I DEFINITELY think this is a non-issue which can EASILY wait until
AFTER the release  (or shall I spell all of it in capital letters)?

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON **FIXING** THE REMAINING ISSUES FOR
THE RELEASE, RATHER THAN PROPOSE NEW THINGS THAT WILL **DEFINITELY**
CAUSE PROBLEMS ON SOME PLATFORMS.  PLEASE!!!!  @#$%&@#$%&!!!!