Re: File modes facilities.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:15:34 -0400

> If we want dired-do-chmod to work on systems without an external chmod
> command, we can easily modify dired-do-chmod to use set-file-modes.

Yes, I think we should do that.  It's also useful for the case where you use
dired-do-chmod on a Tramp file.

> That's a smaller and easier change than adding a whole new suite of
> commands with yet another UI.

AFAICT (now that I've looked at it more closely: sorry for replying too
quickly before) all he's suggesting is to add an interactive command `chmod'
and `set-current-file-modes'.  I'm not sure about set-current-file-modes,
but providing `chmod' (or making set-file-modes into a command) is
a good idea.

        Stefan