Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:18:03 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> This is a proposal to get the coding system for a .po file via
> auto-coding-functions, instead of the way textmodes/po.el reads the
> file explicitly.

I agree that if .po file can be handled correctly in the
frame work of auto-coding-functions, it's a good change.

But, does the current method have any problem that can't be
fixed within po.el?  If not, I think we should make such a
change after the current release.

> One possible problem is that po files can have more than 1024 bytes of
> comments before the header info block.  I see fileio.c
> Finsert_file_contents only grabs 1024 bytes before calling
> set-auto-coding, but I can't tell if/when that happens.  I think a
> normal visit or an `archive-extract' has the whole file, so they work.

Yes.

> "TCVN-5712" in gtk 1.2 vietnamese.  Is there a good place to map or
> alias that to `tcvn' which emacs knows?

I've just added this line in lisp/langauge/vietnamese.el.

(define-coding-system-alias 'tcvn-5712 'vietnamese-tcvn)

> "iso-8859-9e" in gtk 1.2 Azerbaijani turkish, but I don't know what
> that charset is or is meant to be.  glibc iconv doesn't seem to
> recognise it, so presumably it's unused.

I have no idea.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden