Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:06:51 +0200

Rodney Dawes wrote:

Hi,

fschmitt came into #tango a few days ago to ask for feedback on the new
Emacs icon suggestions at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html .
I would suggest that the notebook style icon from Andrew Zhilin is the
best looking one, but could use a few changes to comply with the Tango
style guide, if you are looking to do that.

The perspective should be changed to match the other app icons in Tango.
There is an accessories-text-editor icon that would probably be a good
base for the Emacs icon.

On the subject of branding through, I am not quite sure what the best
way to do that is. I like the Gnu-horns E on the notepad. I'm not sure
that a notepad is the best metaphor for Emacs though, as it does so much
more than just edit text. The branding should be strong though, and
preferrably be done without having the text "Emacs" in the icon itself.
If the icon should say anything, it should be "this is Emacs, a very
powerful IDE and text processing solution", I think.

Also, for the GTK+ 2.x builds of Emacs, it would be cool if it could use
the GtkIconTheme API to grab the icons for items on the toolbar.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for the interest
in the project. More people going along with the idea always helps. :)

-- dobey
Thanks for commenting. Do you mean the icons on this page?

   http://tango-project.org/Tango_Icon_Gallery

The icons on that page are in the size 16x16 and 22x22. On MS Windows 16x16 and 32x32 are important sizes. Are there icon versions for 32x32 too? What icon sizes is the most important from your perspective?