Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango

From: Rodney Dawes
Subject: Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:16:51 -0400

The icons there are not all of the sizes. For the Tango icon theme, we
have 3 sizes. 16x16, 22x22, and SVG. At install time we also create
24x24 icons for GNOME, by adding a 1px border to 22x22 icons. For KDE,
we also render larger scale png files from the SVGs, at install time.
The SVG icons don't apepar on the page, as generating bitmaps from SVG
on a web server is currently a bit of a pain, when you don't own the
box it's running on. The SVG is designed to be used at 48x48, and so
scales down to 32x32 very nicely.

For Windows, there's no particular reason that 32x32 images can not
be generated and used. The way things work on Windows is different
technically as well, so I'm sure that doing the appropriate thing on
that platform, to use the icons, is fine. For the *nix builds though,
using the icon theme would probably be ideal.

-- dobey