Re: File modes facilities.

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:51:29 -0400

      That's  what I feared,  thanks ;-)  So Richard  meant to  modify the
      C  function, okey.

Here's what I sent you before, but it bounced because the address
in your message is not the real one.

Part of this package would be good to install.  I don't see a need for
the special feature for changing the current file's modes on the next
save.  Why wait for that?

I would like a function to set the modes of a file--what you've called
chmod, but I think it should be called set-file-modes.

There IS a function called set-file-modes.  It is not interactive.  My
idea is to rename that to set-file-modes-internal, and use your chmod
command under the name set-file-modes.  It should accept a numeric
mode argument too; that way, existing callers will still work.  It
would use file-modes-to-number.

Would you like to work on such a patch?

Have we got legal papers from you for Emacs?

    (defvar file-modes 0
      "File modes of the file visited in the current buffer. Do not
    rely on this variable to know current file modes, use `buffer-file-modes'
    instead.")

Please note the rule that the first line of a doc string must always
stand on its own.