Re: follow-link not on mouse-face

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: follow-link not on mouse-face
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:18:16 -0400

    > I think it is a mistake to put the `follow-link' property on text areas
    > that have no mouse-face=highlight.  The `highlight' face is a good
    > warning that mouse-1 click will try to follow links, and a missing
    > `highlight' face indicates that it is always safe to click mouse-1
    > to relocate point.

That is a valid point.

    Well, I'm not sure, I'd expect mouse-1 to have the exact same effect as
    mouse-2 no matter where I'm clicking...

That is a valid point too.

So maybe the mouse face should cover the whole line.
Or perhaps -- though this could take more work -- the line number
should also highlight, but separately.  Either one would achieve both
of the goals above.

    So I think the question is not whether to make mouse-1 to have the
    exact same effect as mouse-2, but why mouse-2 sensitive areas are
    bigger than areas with mouse-face=highlight in the *Occur* buffer.
    I recall that the reason for that was to reduce flicker (especially
    on large context areas in the *Occur* buffer).

I think part of the reason may have been to help show the boundary
between the line number and the line contents.  That is why I suggest
that each of these parts of the line could highlight separately.