Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:14:52 -0400

On 10/22/05, Ken Manheimer <address@hidden> wrote:

> (and i must say, looking at the 16x16 notebook version vs the 16x16
> emblem-on-a-plaque style, i like the latter more, find it quite
> striking.  my preference is for that, with the notebook-style in the
> larger ones, and the common features - the squiggle, background color
> and glossy highlights - conveying the brand between them...)

i want to strengthen this sentiment.  the squiggle on that glossy
field is a really excellent insignia prospect - outstanding, in my
estimation, even by commercial standards.

in the abstract, it's pretty and distinctive - crucial attributes.  as
a literal emblem, it has the strong suggestions of the Emacs E and the
GNU horns.  i like both the full one and the truncated one for the
smallest icon - think the're similar enough to maintain coherence.  i
suggest considering adoption of it as the graphical insignia for
emacs, in general, not just for the icons...

(and no, i have no connection w/andrew zhilin, i'm not shilling for
him, his mother didn't pay me anything to gush over his icons.-)

ken