Re: flyspell bug

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: flyspell bug
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:50:52 +0200

>RMS>     open etc/refcard.tex, M-x flyspell-buffer, go to the end of the buffer
>RMS>     and notice that, for example, defun (21 lines from the bottom of the
>RMS>     buffer) isn't marked as misspelled.

>RMS> I do see that--but I am not sure it is a bug.  When I type M-$ on
>RMS> `defun', it says that word is correct.  And there was no jumping in
>RMS> the percentages in the progress reports.

>RMS> Can anyone else see if there is a real bug here?

No, I think this is the intended behavior. Flyspell is not spell-checking
the whole buffer for you, only the words that you enter, edit, or are about
to edit (i.e. that the cursor is on). It is not like in MS WORD where all
misspelled words are marked. See the Emacs manual:

       Flyspell mode is a fully-automatic way to check spelling as you edit
    in Emacs.  It operates by checking words as you change or insert them.
    When it finds a word that it does not recognize, it highlights that
    word.  This does not interfere with your editing, but when you see the
    highlighted word, you can move to it and fix it.  Type `M-x
    flyspell-mode' to enable or disable this mode in the current buffer.

--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
Private email: address@hidden