Re: File modes facilities.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:09:20 +0200

Michael Cadilhac <address@hidden> writes:

> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> There IS a function called set-file-modes.  It is not interactive.  My
>> idea is to rename that to set-file-modes-internal, and use your chmod
>> command under the name set-file-modes.  It should accept a numeric
>> mode argument too; that way, existing callers will still work.  It
>> would use file-modes-to-number.

I still think my approach to make any command interactive is much, much
better (and simpler) than this hotch-potch approach of renamingbuilt-in
functions to COMMAND-internal and provide a wrapper in Lisp.

BTW, I thought RMS said he didn't want to include this feature before
the release!??!?

That said, is it really safe to change the name of the file handler
for set-file-modes?  Will it break tramp and ange-ftp (and ???)