RE: Saving minibuffer history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Saving minibuffer history
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:55:10 -0700

    > > 2. (defvar savehist-coding-system (if (string-match
    "XEmacs" emacs-version)
    > >                                              'iso-2022-8
    > >                                            'utf-8)
    >
    > Shouldn't it just use `emacs-mule'?  This would ensure that no
    > information can be lost, contrary to what happens with utf-8.

    Using utf-8 seemed like a good idea because of various nice properties
    of UTF-8.  Also, I didn't know about emacs-mule.

    Feel free to change it to emacs-mule if that makes more sense.  The
    encoding used by this file is more or less internal to Emacs, and only
    Emacs needs be able to process it.  People who desperately want
    another encoding can change it by customizing that variable.

I missed the response to this, I guess, and I notice that the latest version
still has utf-8. What was the reason not to use emacs-mule instead?