Re: Saving minibuffer history

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Saving minibuffer history
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:24:07 -0400

> I've now applied your changes to my version.
>     http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/savehist.el

Installed.

> These changes should make it possible for you to simply use my version
> unchanged.

Almost.  There were a few comments missing, and things like that.
E.g. please preserve the arch-tag.

> I also recommend that you mention in the NEWS file how the feature is
> supposed to be used.  It can be as simple as:
>     To use this feature, put (savehist-load) in your `.emacs' file.

Done.

As mentioned earlier, your code truncates non-history variables as well.
But now that you use it to save the list of variables as well, it means that
if the number of history variables you have is larger than savehist-length,
than you will lose some of your history as well.

        Stefan