Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:12:45 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > I installed my patch, so now mouse-3 on a fringe breakpoint bitmap
>  > enables/disables the breakpoint...
>
> I tried to follow this to add a help-echo (and a hand pointer) to the icon in
> the fringe (to copy whats already implemented for the margin).  This change in
> gdb-put-string didn't work for the help-echo:
>
> (if sprops
>     (add-text-properties
>      0 1
>      (append
>       '(help-echo "mouse-1: clear bkpt, mouse-3: enable/disable bkpt")
>       sprops) string))
>
> Is it possible?

Currently, no.

Problem is that the redisplay engine does not check whether mouse is
over a fringe bitmap, and consequently, it does not try to find the
origin of that bitmap (the overlay string), so it doesn't know where
to find the help-echo string either.  It would be a good thing to
fix this, but it is not trivial.

In any case, I would put the help-echo property into the arglist to the
place where you call gdb-put-string so you avoid the append here.

Like this:
            (gdb-put-string
             'gdb-bptno bptno
             'gdb-enabled enabled