Re: macos.texi updated

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: macos.texi updated
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:59:11 -0400

    set-frame-font

That is nearly obsolete--the modern and cleaner way to do this
is to customize the default font.

    create-fontset-from-fontset-spec

I don't know much about fontsets.  Perhaps we need a cleaner way
to specify them.

    (Maybe in this case the answer is that emacs is trying to get away from
    other preferences persistence mechanisms besides .emacs?

Not particularly.  However, if you want to use X resources,
then you have to use XLFD.

                                                              But is .emacs
    read before the first frame is made?)

Its specifications are applied to the first frame, I believe.

    Right, but unfortunately x-list-fonts is not just used on X.  Ideally,
    there would be a "w-list-fonts" function that returns a list of lists
    specifying all the information in structured lisp form.

That sounds like a good idea.  I will add it to etc/TODO.