Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:00:51 +1300

 >      > To move to another file usually means moving to another frame, and
 >      > that's not the job of `until'.   This command should refuse
 >      > to move to another frame.
 >
 >     Yes, you're right.
 >
 > Actually, now I am not sure what I said is true.  Maybe `until' just
 > sets a temporary breakpoint and continues.  If so, it would actually
 > "work" even if you specify a line in a different function.

The manual says:

GDB> Continue running your program until either the specified location
GDB> is reached, or the current stack frame returns.

(actually, it should say *selected* stack frame returns)

As Eli says, there is now another command called "advance".  I think this has
the behaviour you are talking about:

GDB> ...the target location doesn't have to be in the same frame as the
GDB> current one.

 >      > But there is an exception: when a function in one file is inlined in
 >      > another.  In that case, shouldn't this command work?
 >
 >     If I try it, it doesn't seem to work.  Even if it, I'm not sure how we
 >     would make use of it.
 >
 > If it doesn't work, maybe that is a flaw in GDB.  It OUGHT to be
 > possible to proceed to a specific line in the code another function
 > that was inlined into this function.
 >
 > Would you like to raise that is with bug-gdb and cc me?

The problem is that the documentation just talks about being able to skip over
recursive functions and doesn't mention inline functions.  So I'm not sure
that they would see it as a bug.

Nick